Fenix E21. The light that refused to die.


About 6 years ago, I bought a great little light. It was a budget minded 2AA light by Fenix named the E21.
The E21 used a Cree XP-E LED. Mixed with 2 AA battery's, it had a max output of 154 lumens. It had two basic setting, high and low. You simply twisted the bezel to switch the modes.
It was simple. It was affordable. It did exactly what it was designed to do. And it will probably outlast us humans, all of us.
Future archeologists will likely marvel at this thing. Because if my experience with this light stays true, it will still turn on 4000 years from now.


LED technology has improved by leaps and bounds from 6 years ago, when I bought this little beastie. But this light has proven to me, time and time again, that there's simply something to be said about durability. Although outdated in it's design, it's still a tremendous light. I use it daily.


So, on to the meat and 'taters of this. I can't kill this light. It's not that I want to kill it. I don't, I love this light! But It's been to the dark side of the moon and back in the abuse dept. Pro tip: You CAN use this light as a hammer to drive tent stakes into frozen ground. Been there, done that. Used it as the "Stick" on PCT style bear bags as well. Although, if a bear had gotten ahold of it, it would have been sorry. A bear is no match against this light. Fact.

One night, around a campfire, I stumbled, and the light took a nosedive right into the middle of the firepit. After some tactful use of limbs, I was able to get it out, minus the original lanyard, and a very wrecked tail-cap clickie.  Thank goodness for OEM replacement parts. I was afraid it would blow up, but it was fine, minus some soot and a destroyed lanyard, it was fine.
So far, it's been on fire. Ran over by an excavator at a gravel trail-head parking lot. Dropped down a nasty, rocky ravine, used as a hammer, used as a pry bar, dropped in deep water, while on for hours. It's been subjected to -10F backpacking trips, left out in a snowstorm over-nite....I mean. Seriously. I can't even recall all of the incidents this light has endured. 

And at the end of the day, despite fates best efforts to wreck this thing, it turns on and off, it adjusts from high to low, I can replace the batteries, everything works just fine, like it was new.
In fact, it still has the original O-ring!

I was a Fenix fan long before I became a Fenix ambassador. This was the light that forever sold me on Fenix. I trust my life on this light. These days the light has been placed into semi-retirement. That being for use around the house and property, and occasional use in my hike patrol duties. But I've another trip coming up. It may find it's way into my pack again. And we'll see what it can survive for the next go-round. 

Harold H
Buttfeet/Lake Walker

Comments

  1. I have a light just like that, and I totally agree to that, this thing is built like a tank. It maybe outdated, but in life and death situations,ci will bet my life on it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment