Initial review: Fenix HL32R headlamp!


I have a few, quite a few Fenix headlamps. Each one is a bit different than the other, and when I pick out a light to take on a night hike or a trip, I try to match it to the environment that I'll be going into.

This light has muddied the water a bit. It has traits of all my headlamps, and good ones to boot.

Meet the Fenix HL32R headlamp!

The light is simple, no muss, no fuss. It comes with the light, a charging cable and manual/warranty card, There's no battery to mess with here. It uses a sealed, built in 2000mAh Li-Po battery. You can likely expect 500 recharge cycles out of it.
Obviously it's rechargeable and comes with a supplied micro USB cable.

Here's the modes and other pertinents:


And yes, the body of this light is metal :P

What struck me in my first night hike was the modes. They're ALL usable on the trail while hiking. Even the lowest setting of 4 lumens was doable.  Although a bit dim, I could see my feet, I could see the ground out a bit in front of me, so yes, hikable on easy terrain! And with 200 hours of run-time on that setting alone, you can understand the immense value here!
All other settings are icing on the cake.

The light uses a TIR type optic instead of a typical reflector and lens. This in turn created a very interesting beam, certainly a pleasantly floody light, with just enough punch to get it out there.

A very easy on the eyes tint as well. They used a CREE XP-G3.

The light sports a usable red light. Red lights are gold to backpackers. I hope Fenix continues this trend!

Here's a few beam pics with captions!
The above photo; the large tree way in the back there is a 60ft tall Maple. This pic was taken over 75ft away from it on turbo mode.


High mode focused on firepit 35 ft away


Red light, bench 20ft away 

That's it for this quick initial review, expect a full blown follow up review a month or so away. 


And tell em I sent ya!
Fenix Lighting Outdoors Ambassador, Harold H 

#SeeWhatMatters

Comments