Fenix HM50R Headlamp review. Mighty meets minuscule.

You'd think this light - just by pictures alone would weigh more than 3 ounces with the battery, you'd be incorrect. Meet the minuscule, yet mighty Fenix HM50R.

I ask alot of my lights. If I'm out in the backcountry for days on end, I demand alot from them, I expect it. Thus far, I'm very far from disappointed in this light.

Here's the stats on this little fury.


Based on the excellent HL26R I reviewed ( http://ohlakewalker.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-fenix-hl26r-review-of-light-i-call.html ) and the slew of new headlamps coming out by Fenix, it would suggest (with about 16 models) that Fenix is VERY serious about their headlamps being a solid choice in outdoors lighting, particularly in the US, where the market is locked up with the likes of Princeton Tec, Black Diamond, Petzl, to name a few. The Fenix has held it's edge with pure power, incredible runtimes, and a nearly indestructible form factor. In terms of those three things alone, I'd put my lights up against any of those three. Anyday. Anytime.
*Feel free to send me lights for battle arena type tests! Unless, you know, you're scared :)

Moving on to what comes with your new HM50R.


  • User manual
  • Warranty card
  • spare O rings
  • Spare USB port dust cover
  • Charging Cable
  • Spare silicone holder
Also included is a Fenix ARB-L16-700 Li-ion battery. Note the lithium Tenergy CR123a next to it (also available from Fenix Lighting USA) Referencing the above chart a ways back up, you can see the very big differences between the rechargeable vs the standard CR123. Although the standard CR123 is not rechargeable, it's extra runtime and cold weather performance should absolutely be noted.
They're both very solid batteries, but it's nice to able to use a battery, and have a choice to do so, to help adapt your light more to the environment you're going to be in.

The HM50R feeding of my battery charger I often take out backpacking. This is exactly why I love rechargeable lights! I can recharge this little light about 7-8 times off that Anker charger!
*Note the blue light on the light, which is lit to indicate that it's charging.


With the light off you can press once on the button to reveal battery levels.
  • Green constant on means more than 80%
  • Green flashes 50% - 80%
  • Blue constant 20% - 50%
  • Blue flashes less than 20%

The beam profile. Notice the purplish hue. this likely from the Anti reflective coating on the lens.
It's punchy for it's size, a nice compliment of throw vs flood. It's fairly neutral in tint. But the spill seems a tad cooler, perhaps the AR coating, but a very pleasant light to use color wise.

 Beamshots in the family rental homes basement. It's about 30ft to that wall at the end.

 First is 4 lumens. Keep in mind that there is NO ambient lighting in this basement. The light you see is only from the HM50R.  I have no way to measure my true output, but it seems brighter than 4 lumens here.
Next setting is 30 lumens
And this one is 130 lumens
And finally, 500 lumens. although it does it no justice here. This little guy is bright!

More thoughts:

Fit and finish, typical Fenix! The body is crafted from aircraft type alloy.
The threading is impeccable.
The headband seems to be the new standard from Fenix. It has a bead of silicone to help keep the light on your noggin. I first saw this type of band on the HL26R and absolutely love it. Hot, cold, wet or dry, it just works.
The silicone holder for the light works better than I expected. Rotating the light up and down presents no issues. Typically, on most headlamps it's a hard plastic piece that attaches the light to the headband. The silicone is a welcome change, it fits your head better.
The idea that I can use this as a pocket-able flashlight minus headband, again, in the backcountry I LOVE items that have multiple uses.
Uses a Cree XM-L2 U2  LED
IP68 rating. This is the standard I am starting to demand for a light that travels in the boonies with me. I can go swimming with this headlamp on. In the dark, probably naked, don't judge me.
Anything less than this rating and I'm not swimming, just that simple.
Rechargeable! I always carry at least a 10,000 mAh battery brick with me. I can charge this light on the go.
Capable of -40f with CR123's. I hike and backpack in the winter, huge win here. Try that kind of cold with a light with AA alkalines in it, and you're gonna have a bad time.
Lightweight! 2.2 ounces or 63 grams. Include the battery it comes with for another 20(ish) grams, that gives me a total weight of under 3 ounces. For reasons of comparison, the HL26R with built in battery is 86 grams @ 3.03 ounces.



It's everything it claims to be. tiny, powerful and tough. It's the HM50R from Fenix
Check it out @
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hm50r-rechargeable-headlamp/


Final parting shot.

Comments