Review: Fenix CL09. Pint-size powerhouse.

In the ever foreboding quest to lighten pack weight, I looked at everything.

When it comes to back country lighting, I don't usually care about weight. But when and if I can shave some weight and bulk, and increase  performance well, yeah man, I'm all about that!

Enter the CL09, under 2 ounces (with included battery) or about 50 grams on my scale.
This little lantern is about as long and a bit fatter than a container of lipstick.
It's tiny.
But don't let it's diminutive size fool you, this little guy means business!

Perfect tent light!
First, the settings. The CL09 has 7 of them.
Main light is Low, medium, high, and turbo.
The rest- are a red light, a red light strobe, and a very neat green light. 

Turbo mode is incredible.

Green!
Red :)

As for the output of this little beastie:

Low 1 lumen.
Medium 30 lumens
High  80 lumens
Turbo 200 lumens

Red & red flash @ 5 lumens
Green 5 lumens

Interestingly enough, that 1 lumen setting is very workable, and with a 90-150 hour run-time, it's a must have. I had enough light to mess with my gear in my tent.
I personally found the 30 lumen setting was spot on for tent use. It's perfect.
The 80 and 200 setting seemed at home outside the tent. I took my bear bag line and hoisted the light to 10ft above my tent. At 200 lumens, it not only lit my tent up like the fourth of July, but it lit everything up; the ground, the trees, the tent, my pack, the bugs, everything in every direction for well over 30ft. Impressive for such a tiny light!
The red and green were great as well, the red is at the right level to be quite useful. It did a perfect job of night vision preservation. The green was a fun one. I had plenty of people at a training camp asking me about my eerily glowing green tent!

Runtimes, the light comes with the Fenix  ARB-L16-700U recharge USB battery.
With this little guy being micro USB rechargeable, it really adds to the versatility. However, for greater run-times you can opt for a standard 1400mah CR123A, like the Tenergy that Fenix Lighting has for sale.
This is an option for you. The rechargeable is an incredibly versatile battery, but if longer standalone run-times are important, then the Lithium CR123A is certainly a solid option.

An example of this is the 30 lumen setting:
ARB-L16-700U @ 30 lumens =19 hours, 20 minutes run-time.
CR123A @ 30 lumens = 36 hour runtime.

A full Listing of the run-times can be found at:
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-cl09-lantern/

Moving on the other things I liked about this little lantern.
It's IP68 rated. This is a GREAT thing. Especially if you're outdoors as much as I am. IP68 means that the light is waterproof underwater to 2m/dust proof.
It's claimed that it has a 1 meter impact resistance. I personally feel this may be off, and the number will be higher. The body of the light is beautifully crafted alloy with a very durable dome for the light. It's a tank.

The base of the light is magnetic! Car giving you problems on a dark road- and you can't see to work on it, need a free hand?? Noooo problem! Stick it on the metal of your car somewhere, then you're set!
It comes with a sturdy and very functional key chain like attachment claw on it. Great for hanging it from a pack, a tent, a limb, your partners ear, whatever works for you, it'll hang from.

This light is my go to pack light in conjunction with the always awesome HL26R
Incredibly sturdy, very powerful,  amazingly versatile, aptly named by a friend as the "Pint size powerhouse" it's the CL09 from Fenix Lighting.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-cl09-lantern/

Comments